2007년 3월 11일 일요일

Journal #16

Chapter 16. The Last One
"But everybody heard the cry of the doomed man, it pierced through the old thick
barriers of inertia and submisiveness, it struck the living core of man in each
of us: 'Kamaraden, ich bin der Letz!'(Comrades, I am the last one!)
I thought to myself: what would I have done if I were in the same situation? Do I really care about me being the last one to die, if I were to be killed anyway? That "doomed man" is symbolizes hope and determination. He was the only person so brave to take his thought into actions and rebel against the Germans. What about the other prisoners?"I wish I could say that from the midst of us, an abject flock, a voice rose, a murmur, a sign of assent. But nothing happened. We remained standing, bent and grey, our heads dropped, and we did not uncover our heads until the German ordered us to do so."Complete Submissiveness. While the last one was crying for his independence from the Germans, the very sign of his triumph over them. Had they even murmured anything, they might have been able at least to rebel silently against the Germans. Shame on them. Their courage is taken out since long ago, and they no longer seem to have any dignity against the Germans now. The dead person was killed, but he is yet to be dead. Germans might have been successful in taking his life away, but they never took his humanity away. How easy is it to kill a person, and how difficult is it to destroy that person?

"To destroy a man is difficult, almost as difficult as to create one."

댓글 없음: