2007년 3월 11일 일요일

Journal #15

Chapter 15. Die drei Leute vom Labor

This chapter focuses on the reminiscence Primo Levi feels as he finds German people living like nothing's going on. There are several girls working in the laboratory, who are not prisoners but "civilians." They talk about daily life without gratitude that they are gifted with everyday life.
"Only two weeks and then it will be Christmas again; it hardly seems real, this
year has gone by so quickly!"
This sentence shocks Primo Levi and makes him think of the past, when he was just like the girls chattering about trivial things. To him, the year he spent inside the Auschwitz was probably the longest year he has ever spent.
From his narration, I found that he is deprived of all the dreams he had before, and now he is left with nothing except agony."My days were both cheerful and sad, but I regretted them equally, they were all full and positive; the future stood before me as a great treasure. Today the only thing left of the life of those days is what one needs to suffer hunger and cold; I am not even alive enough to know how to kill myself."I imagined how he felt like. Say the Third World War broke out, and I'm imprisoned as a captured civilian. All the complaints I had - too much homework, pressure from the parents, and so on - would be gone and the only thing I think of would be survival. Just thinking of that, taught me why I should be grateful for what I have and what I go through right now.

댓글 없음: