2007년 3월 11일 일요일

Journal #12

Chapter 12. The Events of the Summer
"Thanks to Lorenzo, I managed not to forget that I myself was a man."
I read many novelss that talk about brainwashing and losing one's sense of humanity. 1984 by George Owell and The Brave New World by Aldous Huxley were two of the most impressive books I read and, still, I didn't really believe in the idea that people can forget about they are and how they are supposed to behave, nor did I consider the effect of brainwashing possible. I found some connections between these books and the Survival in the Auschwitz, because the sense of humanity is an important motif in all three books.
After reading the Survival in Auschwitz, especially this chapter, I realized that it is very easy to lose one's humanity unless there's something that keeps reminding him/her of it. Lorenzo is a symbolic person who represents the pureness. He is a man who keeps his morality whatever the circumstances are. He does not try to just get him out of the agony, he cares about others. This taught me how we are affected by the people around us. Should Lorenzo was a pessimistic, selfish person, Primo Levi might have forgot who he was - that is, to lose his morality.
"I believe that it was really due to Lorenzo that I am alive today"

댓글 없음: